Saturday 26 December 2020

'Merry Christmas!'

Well, how was it for you? (lol)

No, I mean CHRISTMAS! 

O.k. - enough of the ' crimbo cracker' humour - I am actually feeling quite emotional today for a number of reasons. 

The first being that I have had a nice, quiet Christmas with my Mum and Dad - something that I am only too aware of is unlikely to be something I will be able to say much longer. It hasn't all been 'rosy' though as Mum got upset at not being able to see my brother, Geoff and the rest of our family on Christmas Day and Dad has been in a lot of physical pain one way and another as well as being 'bored stupid'.

There is though and never will be any substitute for being with family at Christmas time and I myself had a 'little blub' this morning while watching the excellent Channel 5 documentary about George Michael on T.V. Having to go home for Christmas to a Dad that you don't feel able to tell that you are gay must be awful but having to do that when your lover is also dying of A.I.D.S. half the way around the other side of the world is worse than tragic. When you watch the documentary you realise why George ended up doing some of the apparently bizzarre things that he did and get a somewhat 'piercing view' into what life as a Superstar is like. As most who know me will tell you - I myself have always craved fame and (more importantly) recognition but watching programmes like this one on George make a person realise that it isn't always such a bad thing to be a 'torn out punter from Hastings'.

George Michael was a lovely bloke - something a lot of us found out in the most graphic way for the first time when he died and his generous deeds of kindness came out. I am so glad that he will forever be associated with 'the spirit of Christmas', of 'good will to all men' and also of honesty and humour. How he dealt with his 'misdemeaners' in life is an example to us all and proof that if we choose to deal with things in the right way they don't have to brand us with negative vibes forever - a genuine apology and a 'hands up' approach mean a lot to people and most of us like to forgive if given the chance...

It has also been a very odd Boxing Day for me. Usually on this day I am with my 'punting pals' and we are down the bookies and out of the house meeting 'our fellow punters' swapping tips and stories and DREAMING of a nice win to pay for our Christmas! (lol) 99 times out of a hundred I lose on Boxing Day and come home deflated but this year not even being able to get a bet on at all - let alone be with a real human being! - has really brought home my sense of loss. I think we are all going to be much more appreciative of 'the simple things' in life if and when we beat this virus and losing on the horses having spent an afternoon with the 'lads on the lash' will seem like fun - even if I come home wearing nothing but a barrel! (lol)

Typically today, when I absolutely could not get a bet on, I reckon me and my mate Paul would have won but whether we would have won a lot is doubtful. The King George at Kempton was a brilliant race and Jockey, Bryony Frost rode a BRILLIANT tactical ride on 20/1 winner 'Frodon'. We all knew that the little horse was 'tough as nails' and would give it his best shot from the front but Bryony (surely the best lady Jockey of all time so far) got her tactics SPOT ON and judged the pace of the race perfectly to give 'Fro' as she calls him the best chance of 'grinding the others into the dust'.

Yet  more tears filled my eyes when she passed the winning post and for me the spirit that 'Frodon' shows is the very same as that which we must now all show in fighting coronavirus. Attack and defence at just the right time and for just the right amount of time are the key - we may be 20/1 outsiders in a straight fight but brains can often beat brawn if a little patience is involved! Well done, Bryony! I think you should get the 'ride of the year' award for today's performance and seeing you and Frodon win in the way that you did helped to remind me just why I LOVE Horse Racing - regardless of whether I have a bet on it or not.

The cards and 'bits' you can see here are all mementoes I shall keep from this years crop of cards and tags. I have literally a suitcase full of old cards up in our loft and wouldn't have it any other way! (lol)


Enjoy the rest of Boxing Day and DO be careful from now on for a while - especially on New Years Eve - and I will see you all again next year (God willing) for some more festive blogging...



Lots of love, Tony May xx


No comments:

Post a Comment